· A time for relaxation and to focus on positive suggestions
· Easy to learn and master
· Time for yourself and a step on the journey to be the best you there is
· A way to change behaviour and habits
· Completely safe
· A proven method of achieving change
· A skill that you can use in everyday life to manage stress
· A collaborative process between you and the therapist
Hypnosis is not……
· Something to be scared of
· A form of mind control!
· A trick that will make you do things you don’t want to do!
· Going to leave you ‘stuck’ in a trance!
Hypnosis is a simple, down-to-earth and common sense therapy that can enable you to progressively improve your habitual feelings and behaviour.
The feeling of being in hypnosis is not actually ‘sleep’ – people are aware of everything that is going on around them – but it has been likened to the feeling of daydreaming when you are absorbed in your imagination and an idea. You will know where you are and what is going on around you.
In hypnosis, you still feel exactly like 'you' just a more relaxed and calm 'you'.
Hypnotherapy can help you change behaviour if you want it to! Hypnotherapy is a way of harnessing natural psychological and physiological states to enable you to achieve change. The therapist has an important part to play in the process – guiding you towards positive suggestions – but your part is crucial. You must want to accept the suggested ideas for change and use your imagination to vividly picture responding to these suggestions. But don’t worry that you don’t have a very good imagination – everyone can learn the skills of hypnosis.
The wealth of research that has been carried out on hypnotherapy shows that it can be particularly helpful for:
· Managing anxiety
· Overcoming sleep disorders
· Managing stress related disorders
· Managing pain
· Conquering habits and phobias
· Reducing the intensity and number of hot flushes during menopause